We affirm that all students can learn and be taught. All Catholic children have a right to quality Catholic education and to accept a child for integration there must be adequate resources and personnel, and a commitment to that child by all school staff.
Before enrolling an integration student:
- Normal requirements for enrolment at St. Raphael’s School must be met
- Relevant services and facilities must be available
- The disability must be fully assessed and its repercussions on the educational process documented
- An enrolment and support group is to be formed and the advisability of enrolment acceptance be fully and openly discussed and explored
- Important to make use of available service organisations and C.E.O. personnel
- Staff should be fully involved in the decision-making on enrolment acceptance where appropriate
Enrolment & Support Group
- Parent(s) of the student
- Homeroom teacher
- Student where appropriate
- Special Education Co-ordinator and Aide
- Representative(s) of service organisations
- C.E.O. Adviser
- Parent Advocate
- To assist in decision-making process of enrolment acceptance
- Review of program, identification and setting of short and long term goals
- Mutual support group
Needs to be met by the Staff
- information and advice
- open communication of concerns
- formal structures
Where there is a need for specialised resources to assist in an integration program these should be made available.
Funding for these resources can be through:
- Submissions to C.E.O.
- School Budget
- Donations by Parent Groups, etc.
School staff to be in-serviced by Advisers, etc., on the use of these specialised resources.